Robert G. Turner House
The Robert G. Turner House, built in 1935, is significant as an excellent example of a Colonial Revival residence of the period and as an important residential design by prominent Greenville architect William Riddle Ward (1890-1984). Ward, an Alabama native, was educated at Auburn University and came to South Carolina in 1916 to work for Greenville architect Haskell H. Martin; he left Martin’s firm in 1925 to go into independent architectural practice, and designed over one hundred residences in the state - including many in Greenville and Greenville County - by the time he retired in 1957. Ward was commissioned to design this house for Robert Gibbs Turner and his wife Mary after Mrs. Turner saw a Ward-designed house in Greenville and admired it. The house is divided into three distinct masses: a two-story, lateral gabled body, a single-height side-gabled porch, and a single-height side-gabled wing. The roof structure of all three, clad in composition shingles, features simple boxed cornices with ogee moulding. He also designed a one-story brick veneered garage for the Turners. Listed in the National Register February 1, 1999.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterRobertTunerHouse