Greenville Gas and Electric Company
(Duke Power Steam Plant) The two buildings (ca. 1890) of the Greenville Gas and Electric Light Company are significant to the city of Greenville as one of its earliest electrical plants. The larger building served as a coal-fueled, steam-powered electric generating plant. This one-story, rectangular brick building has round arched window and door openings. The second building is a two-story rectangular brick building originally used as offices for the power company. The window and door openings have segmental arches. The buildings were owned and operated by the Greenville Gas and Electric Light and Power Company. In 1910 the buildings were sold to the Southern Power Company which was rechartered in 1913 as Southern Public Utilities. Later the company evolved into Duke Power Company. The building is vernacular Victorian with Romanesque commercial structure elements. It is one of the few remaining Victorian structures in the downtown area. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterGreenvilleGasElectricCompany