The Cureton-Huff House is a two-story frame farmhouse in rural Greenville County which was reportedly built ca. 1820 for John Moon Cureton. Cureton was a prosperous farmer and his house and farm are representative of the rural farmhouses and complexes of the time and region. The house in particular is representative of the vernacular building modes, construction technology, and limited stylistic awareness common to an upper-middle income farmer in a rural community. The house also retains noteworthy Federal stylistic elements in its woodwork. The plan of the house, originally a vernacular hall-and-parlor, was altered prior to the death of Cureton into a central hall plan. Both plans were common to the farmhouses of South Carolina in the antebellum era. The heavy timber-braced frame with its mortise-and-tenon joints, the beaded weatherboarding, and the small-paned window sash were representative features of such houses. The machine-cut L-head brads used in the Cureton-Huff House and the original box locks were common to the houses of the state in the period 1820-1860. Stylistic features of special note include the sunburst motifs and the reeding on the mantels of the hall and the parlor and the chevron ornamentation along the cornices suggest an awareness of the fashionable Neo-classic ornamentation of the Federal period. Outbuildings on the property include a carriage house, a blacksmith shop, several barns and animal pens, two corn cribs, and a garage. Most of the outbuildings date from the early twentieth century. A family cemetery with a low stone wall is also on the property. Listed in the National Register January 13, 1983.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterCuretonHuffHouse