The Lanneau-Norwood House is an outstanding example of the Second Empire style and is associated with prominent residents of Greenville. The house is a two-and-one-half story brick mansion built for Charles H. Lanneau ca. 1877. The symmetrical façade features a central pavilion and tower and projecting corner pavilions. The tower is octagonal in shape and extends one and one-half stories above the cornice line of the main block of the house. A one-story front porch extends the full width of the façade and projects outward from the corner pavilions. The porch includes slender posts with scrolled brackets, a decorative cornice, and balustrades at roof level. The windows have round-arched lintels and granite sills. Lanneau organized the Hugenot Plaid Mill which was constructed in 1882. The house and associated parcel were acquired by John Wilkins Norwood from the Lanneau estate in 1907. Norwood was a prominent banker and businessman known for his contribution as a leading financier of the growing textile industry in North and South Carolina. The nominated property includes three outbuildings: a two-room, one-story brick servants’ quarters with a gable roof, a brick garage, and a small greenhouse. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterLanneauNorwoodHouse