(Bolling-Stewart House) The house and ruins at Tullyton are significant as surviving examples of early nineteenth-century brick construction in rural upcountry South Carolina. This section of the state developed slowly until the period ca. 1840-ca.1860, when upcountry cotton became the mainstay of the economy. There were few brick residences built in this area before 1840; most brick construction was for public or commercial buildings. The house and ruins at Tullyton are some of the few early brick buildings in this area which are extant. The ruins of a ca. 1821 house are adjacent to a ca. 1839 house, which is also significant as a particularly late Federal-early Greek Revival influenced residence. The ca. 1821 house also served the community as a post office/store. The ca. 1839 building is a two-story, load-bearing, masonry structure with a lateral gable roof and brick laid in a five-course American bond with a projecting stuccoed masonry base under the watertable molding. The ca. 1821 ruin is a five-course American bond, two-story brick shell on a stone foundation. Listed in the National Register July 31, 1990.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterTullyton