The McDowell House, built ca. 1922, is architecturally significant as an excellent local example of a Craftsman style bungalow. The house features shingle siding in its gables, a side-gabled main body with projecting front cross-gabled porch with triangular knee brackets, exposed rafter tails under wide overhanging eaves, pairs of wood pillars on brick pedestals, a pergola, and interior details that include original wood flooring, window and door surrounds, fireplace surrounds and mantels, trim, and detailing. The walls are covered with weatherboard siding and the roof is covered with standing seam metal. The craftsmanship, attention to detail, and knowledge of the cross-gabled Craftsman house form is reflected in J.B. Wasson’s construction. Wasson milled the pine and oak on his property in the Fairview Community of Fountain Inn for the house that he built for his sister, Quentine Wassoon McDowell, the widow of James Wistar McDowell. The property includes a one-story front-gabled contributing outbuilding, built ca. 1922, that was originally used as a garage, as well as a ca. 1950 one-story front-gabled noncontributing outbuilding and a ca. 1984 noncontributing swimming pool. The addition of the second floor half-story under the existing historic roofline occurred in the 1980s. Listed in the National Register November 17, 2010.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterMcDowellHouse