Louie James House
The Louie James House, built in 1923, is significant as an excellent example of early twentieth century Colonial Revival residential architecture and for its association with William Louis “Louie” James, a prominent Greer farmer, merchant and businessman. Henry R. Trott of the Greenville architectural firm of Jones and Trott designed the James House. The two-story house is set upon a brick basement foundation and contains approximately 4800 square feet of living space. L-shaped in plan, it features a hipped roof with a one and two-story hip roof rear ell at the southwest corner. Clad in beveled shiplap siding, the walls terminate at mitered corners. Five massive brick chimneys, accented with cast stone shoulders and corbelled caps, rise well above the roofline. The façade contains a central one-story, hip-roofed portico of the Roman Doric order, and a terra cotta-tiled terrace that extends the width of the house and wraps around the east elevation. A flat-roofed porte cochere extends from the east elevation over the driveway. James was a successful cotton broker, cotton and peach farmer and partner with J.C. Mendenhall in the ownership of Mendenhall and James, a feed-and-seed and hardware store, and co-owned a second feed-and-seed store in Greer. Listed in the National Register September 19, 1996.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterLouieJamesHouse