The Davenport Apartments are architecturally significant as a local interpretation of early twentieth century architecture, combining several elements from contemporary styles. The building served as the first apartment building in the city and housed middle-class businessmen and workers. The building is in a largely unaltered condition retaining much of its original interior with mahogany trim and wainscoting. The Davenport Apartments were developed by G.D. Davenport, a wealthy businessman of Greenville County. This three-story, U-shaped brick building was designed by J.L. Lawrence, a Greenville architect, and constructed by Eugene Gilphilan in 1915-1916. The building has a large rectangular section in the rear and two smaller wings that extend from the rear block to the street, forming the façade and an open court between the two wings. Two one-story porches with stone elliptical arches and brick pillars frame the four entranceways that are grouped in pairs on the façade. A brick parapet rises above the denticulated cornice with consoles. The interior court has three curvilinear gables with the name DAVENPORT inscribed on a panel of the central gable. The building features a water table, brick quoins, and wrought iron balconies with brackets. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterDavenportApartments