The Oaks was reportedly named for an oak grove which originally surrounded the house. It is significant as an intact example of an antebellum Fairfield County plantation house. Believed to have been constructed ca. 1850, the Oaks is a large, two-story, weatherboarded frame residence with a gable-end roof. The façade has a central, two-tiered portico with a pediment featuring a fanlight and boxed cornice. The porticos are supported by four simple wooden columns and have plain wooden balustrades. The portion of the façade sheltered by the portico is sheathed in flushboard. The fenestration of the façade is similar on both stories—a central entrance with traceried multi-light sidelights and transom flanked by two single, six-over-six windows with shutters. The rear elevation has a one-story, shed-roofed porch supported by four wooden columns with a plain balustrade on the left portion and an enclosed room on the right. Side elevations feature double-end chimneys and pedimented gable ends with boxed cornices. The property on which the Oaks stands was sold to John Montgomery Lemmon by Richard Hallum in 1856 for $10,000. Lemmon was a moderately wealthy planter with nineteen slaves and a farm which was valued at $10,000 in 1860. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1984.
Fairfield County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's MidlandsSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterTheOaks