Darby Plantation was built ca. 1842 by Nathaniel Lipscomb Griffith for his daughter, who married Milledge Luke Bonham. In 1856, Bonham was elected to the United States Congress as a States Rights Democrat, filling Preston Brooks’ vacant seat. He was re-elected without opposition, but resigned in 1860 with the rest of the South Carolina delegation when the state seceded. Bonham, also prominent in military affairs, served in the Confederate Congress until 1862 when he was elected Governor of South Carolina, a post which he served until 1864. As governor, Bonham was primarily concerned with coordinating military and civilian activities, increasing the productivity of the economy, and keeping up wartime morale. His plantation house served as his residence from 1845 until 1865. Although the structure’s style is basically that of an upcountry farmhouse, there is evidence of Greek Revival influence that can be seen in the square columns, boxed cornices, entrance treatment, and first-floor window lintels. The front porch is the most impressive feature of the house and extends half way around the building. Listed in the National Register August 13, 1974.
Edgefield County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterDarbyPlantation