Built ca. 1790 by John Blocker (grandson of Prussian émigré, Michael Blocker), Cedar Grove is a large two-story house in the Federal style with white clapboard exterior and high gable roof. The double-tiered portico features delicate Adamesque detail. The first level portico has two, fluted engaged columns at the rear and is supported by four slender columns crowned with square capitals and mounted on raised pedestals. An ornate balustrade encloses the portico. The main entrance has double doors surmounted by a semi-elliptical fanlight with geometric design that is flanked on both sides by diamond-paned sidelights. The second level portico has four square columns with Tuscan capitals that form a flat central arch with basket handle arches on either side. Two engaged columns are at the rear, and a pediment of delicate proportions above the second level portico is decorated with dentil ornamentation. The portico shelters double doors with diamond paned sidelights and is enclosed by a balustrade identical to that of first level portico. Like at his grandfather’s home, the Blocker House, the grounds feature a landscape of tall cedars brought from Prussia, as well as old English boxwoods and traces of an original rose garden. Outbuildings, including a servant’s quarters and original kitchen, still stood on the property at the time of its nomination. Listed in the National Register October 14, 1971.
Edgefield County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterCedarGrove