James W. Dillon House
The James W. Dillon House, a significant, historical landmark in Dillon County, is representative of Victorian architecture and the town’s founding. Built in 1890, this two-story, white frame house was the home of James W. Dillon, founder of the town and man for whom the county was named. A one-story veranda extends across the façade and three-fourths of the southeast elevation. Other notable details include lattice work beneath the veranda’s cornice, carved posts with cornice braces, scalloped shingles in gables, and an ornate front gable decorated with gingerbread trim, rectangular louvers, and oval window with sunburst design. In 1888, Dillon acquired forty acres of land in what is now the city of Dillon. Simultaneously the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company began plans for extending its rail line from Wilson, North Carolina to the Pee Dee region of South Carolina. Dillon offered the railroad company fifty percent interest in his land if it would route the railroad through this forty-acre tract. After the contract was signed, a depot was established, and the proposed town of Dillon became a reality. In 1910, when Dillon County was formed from the upper section of Marion County, citizens of the new county voted to name it for James W. Dillon. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971.
Dillon County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's MidlandsSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterJamesDillonHouse