Alderman's 20 Stores in One
Alderman’s 20 Stores in One, constructed in 1919, is significant as an excellent example of early twentieth-century commercial architecture and for its association with the twentieth-century commercial development of the town of Manning. It is a two-story red brick building or two-part commercial block with a flat roof sheathed with rubber and disguised by parapets which are accentuated by yellow brick corbeling. The main façade of the building exhibits a metal entablature at the second story ceiling level. The entablature is supported by brackets and is ornamented by recessed panels. The second floor windows, which are original to the building, are grouped in sets of two, eight, and four across the front elevation of the building. These upper windows operate as casement sash and exhibit unusual glazing for small town commercial buildings. The upper portion or transom features vertical muntins, while the lower portion of each window has a horizontal muntin across the center and two diagonal muntins, forming a pattern of diamond shapes. Though not generally as extensive, this type of tracery is common in much Beaux-Arts classical architecture of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Constructed by David W. Alderman, a wealthy Clarendon County lumber merchant and entrepreneur, the building was the first mall in the county and is the largest storefront in the main business section of downtown Manning. Listed in the National Register August 26, 1994.
Clarendon County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's CoastSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterAldermansStoresOne