(Falls Theater) Located in the town of Great Falls, the Republic Theater was built by Republic Cotton Mills in 1921-1922. In 1917 Republic Cotton Mills commissioned J.E. Serrine and Company, a Greenville, South Carolina architectural firm, to complete plans and specifications for the theater. The theater is significant for its association with local industry, theatrical entertainment, and for its fine architectural detail which distinguishes it as a local landmark. The building is a rectangular block set on a closed foundation of limestone-colored stucco. The walls are constructed of light colored brick laid in stretcher, common, and diaper bond. The original roof was flat and consisted of tar and paper; however this roof has collapsed completely. The façade has a large segmental arch entrance framed by a terracotta bundled bay leaf torus, and soldier and rowlock surrounds with terra-cotta impost blocks. The façade is laid in diaper bond except for the parapet which is laid in common bond and topped with terra cotta. A molded terra cotta cornice which projects from the façade follows the curve of the arch and wraps around to the right elevation. The cornice is denticulated and has ornamental pendants and modillions. The theater closed in 1974. Listed in the National Register November 25, 1980.
Chester County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterRepublicTheatre