Emanuel Alston House
This house is an intact and significant example of an early twentieth century vernacular architectural form common to St. Helena Island, the one-story, hipped roof house. It was built ca. 1915 by Tecumseh Alston, a carpenter, for his brother Emanuel. The house is a rectangular one-story frame building on a brick foundation, with a hipped, metal roof. A full-width porch, with its own low hipped roof, extends across the primary façade. Simple wood posts provide the support for the porch roof. Characteristic of this house form is a shed or hipped roof dormer located on the front roof slope, to provide light and ventilation to the attic space. A porch addition has been placed on the rear of this home. Emanuel “Mannie” Alston, born 1900, lived here from 1915 until his death in 1985. He served for many years as an elder at Ebenezer Baptist Church and took a prominent part in the services there. Listed in the National Register October 6, 1988.
Beaufort County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's CoastSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterEmanuelAlstonHouse