General Francis Marion Bamberg House
The builder of the Bamberg House, General Francis Marion Bamberg (1838-1905), played a vital role in the growth of the town and county of Bamberg. Gen. Bamberg promoted the educational, religious, economic and cultural growth of the town of Bamberg, served as director and president of the Bamberg Banking Company, and helped establish the Bamberg Textile Mill and served as its director. He also gave a library and gymnasium to the Carlisle Fitting School and large donations for the construction of a new Methodist church. The Bamberg House exemplifies a simplified Queen Anne structure, believed to have been built between 1869 and 1880. The five-sided wing, bay window, gables, brackets and irregularity of plan are all characteristic of this architectural style as are the asymmetrical façade, full length sash windows, and patterned brick chimneys. The tin roof features six chimneys, four of which have corbeled caps. The cornice is supported by wooden brackets. The house also has two remaining outbuildings: a smokehouse and a chicken house. The house is located in one of Bamberg’s oldest residential areas amidst structures of compatible architectural style. Listed in the National Register June 29, 1976.
Bamberg County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's CoastSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterGeneralFrancisMarionBambergHouse