The Caldwell-Johnson-Morris Cottage was built ca. 1851 by Nancy M. Caldwell. The house is a perfect example of the “raised cottage” genre of houses which were built extensively in the nineteenth century. A one-story, raised brick basement elevates the house and gives the effect of a two-story dwelling. The façade has high wooden steps which lead to a pedimented portico on the main floor level. This central portico is supported by four square columns and is enclosed with a balustrade. The house stands out for several blocks due to its situation as an island with access streets on all sides. The house was also home to Dr. William Bullein Johnson, a Baptist minister, leader, and pioneer in the area of female education. In 1830, he began a twenty-two year career as principal of the Edgefield Female Academy. In 1853 Dr. Johnson assumed to role of chancellor and teacher at Johnson Female University, the forerunner of Anderson College. Listed in the National Register October 7, 1971.
Anderson County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterCaldwellJohnsonMorrisCottage