Anderson Historic District 1023 (South McDuffie Street)
Anderson came into being in 1826 with the formation of Anderson County, and as a courthouse seat, the community was quick to develop. With cotton being grown in the region, industrialization arrived in the form of cotton mills, bringing the town to city status by the beginning of the twentieth century. The Anderson historic district contains a variety of architectural styles including Greek Revival, Romanesque Revival, Victorian, and Colonial Revival. The district is primarily comprised of residential buildings, but also includes a number of churches, the buildings dating from antebellum times to the turn of the nineteenth century. The nomination notes that streets have been widened over the years to accommodate modern traffic, but that the district retains much of its original charm. Trees stand tall and in great number in the yards and along the streets. Some twentieth century buildings have been added to the area, but the overall commercial impact in the district is slight. Listed in the National Register December 13, 1971.
Anderson County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic DistrictSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterAndersonHistoricDistrict