Ralph John Ramer House
(Ramer-Stringer-Rainey House) The Ralph John Ramer House, constructed in 1930, is significant as an excellent example of an early twentieth century Tudor Revival residence; as an important residential design of Henry Irven Gaines, architect of Asheville, NC; and for its association with Ralph John Ramer, a prominent Anderson businessman, government official, military officer and civic leader. It is particularly significant also as an extensive residential design and construction in the midst of the Depression. The house, with a sprawling plan of approximately six thousand square feet, has a poured concrete foundation and is of brick and stone masonry construction. There are three visible components of the house: the main entry block with a projecting two story gable, the one-and-one-half story east wing, and the one-and-one-half story west wing that angles toward the rear of the property. The unusual, asymmetrical shape and the presence of dormers on the wings are cause for very complex roof with a combination of gable, hip, and jerkinhead forms. Clay tiles, manufactured to simulate wood shingles, protect the roof. The wood and metal casement windows, all with lead panes, vary between paired and tripartite and have transoms over each. A formal landscape and garden exists at the Ramer House; however, much of it was not developed until the 1940s and 1950s by Mrs. Nancy F. Stringer, who purchased it in 1946 from Ramer’s estate. The garden design, though not executed in complete conformity with the 1931 drawings, was planned by noted Charlotte, NC, landscape architect, Earle S. Draper. Listed in the National Register February 10, 1992.
Anderson County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterRalphJohnRamerHome