(Gibbes-Broyles-Latta-Pelzer House) Ashtabula is significant as an example of lowcountry plantation architecture brought by Charleston families who settled around Pendleton. Built in 1828, Ashtabula is a large, almost square, two-story white frame house, four bays wide with green louvered shutters. It is surrounded on three sides by wide one-story piazzas. These are supported by square columns with vertical panels that are matched on both inside and outside doors. A covered passageway connects the main house with a two story brick building with hipped roof and one central chimney that served as the old kitchen and servants quarters. There is a small well and milk cooling house nearby. Ashtabula is closely associated with the lives of prominent local, state, and national figures. All of the early owners were members of the Pendleton Farmers Society, founded in 1815 and were leaders in the community’s educational, religious, and social life. Some notable owners include Dr. O.R. Broyles, James Latta and Francis Pelzer. Dr. Broyles, who purchased the house in 1837, was widely known for his advanced agricultural practices and for such inventions as the subsoil plow. John C. Calhoun was a frequent guest of Dr. Broyles at Ashtabula. James Latta purchased the property in 1851 and introduced fine cattle stock into the upcountry. In 1880, Ashtabula became the property of industrial leader Francis Pelzer, who organized the Pelzer Manufacturing Company and for whom the cotton mills and town of Pelzer are named. Listed in the National Register May 23, 1972.
Anderson County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterAhstabula