Erskine College-Due West Historic District
The Erskine College-Due West Historic District, located in the small town of Due West in Abbeville County, South Carolina, consists of eighty-eight properties, which as a unit illustrate the development of the village and Erskine College from ca. 1840 to 1930. Included in the district are portions of the campus of Erskine College, the first four-year denominational college in the state. The college was founded in 1839 by the Synod of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, whose early congregation played a large role in the formation of the village and college. Also included in the district are a residential section, containing many properties either at one time or presently associated with the college, and a commercial area. The varied architectural styles include Queen Anne, Neo-Classical, Greek Revival, Renaissance Revival, and bungalows, and their designs reveal an evolution of architecture from the early years of the area’s settlement to the early twentieth century. Most of the buildings in the district have been in continuous use. Listed in the National Register March 19, 1982.
Abbeville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic DistrictSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterErskineCollege