White Hall Plantation House Ruins and Oak Avenue
The White Hall Plantation House Ruins and Oak Avenue are the remnants of a significant eighteenth century plantation house and grounds which has gained additional significance as a component of an early-to-mid- twentieth century hunting plantation incorporating historic resources such as the ruins of a brick house with tabby wings and twin tabby flankers; evidence of a formal garden as demonstrated by a tabby retaining wall; and a massive double avenue of oaks planted in the late eighteenth or very early nineteenth century. The plantation house was a substantial building of at least two stories, built between 1771 and 1776, then enlarged between 1786 and 1791. The house was built in three major parts, consisting of a brick central block, with entrances on the north and south elevations and at least two brick chimneys, and two tabby wings attached to the main block, with the main block projecting slightly beyond each wing on the façade elevation. The house at White Hall burned ca. 1870 and was not renovated or occupied afterward. Listed in the National Register October 27, 2000.
Historic Landmarks of South Carolina's CoastJasper County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterOakAvenue