Greenville Presbyterian Church
Regular religious services and social gatherings have been conducted on this site since 1773. The church building itself has also been in continuous use since its construction in 1852, providing a place for worship and other religious and social activities for its congregation and community. The property also includes a small brick Session House, a large historic cemetery containing some 1,200 identifiable graves, and a natural spring. The church is basicly Greek or Classical Revival in style, in the meeting house form, and is constructed of brick. Greenville Presbyterian Church is significant for its broad impact on the history of the area know as Long Canes. The church, along with other Presbyterian churches in the area, influenced the basic structure of society for Scots-Irish settlers in this part of South Carolina. The earliest history of Greenville Presbyterian Church is interwoven with that of the Scots-Irish pioneers who, in the 1760s, petitioned their Synod for ministers as they sought to establish and maintain a Presbyterian Church in the Long Canes area. The earliest graves in the church cemetery date from 1777 and numerous markers indicate service in the American Revolution and Civil War. Many markers were signed by their stonecutters, and there are also a number of fieldstone markers, some of which are hand wrought and incised in a somewhat primitive fashion. Listed in the National Register May 20, 1998.
Greenwood County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic ChurchSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterGreenvillePresbyterianChurch