Old Greenwood High School
Construction of the Old Greenwood High School in 1925-26 represented a major advancement in the history of education in Greenwood and Greenwood County. For the first time since the Greenwood Public School System was established in 1891, the upper grades and the grammar school were taught in separate buildings. The high school was built primarily to accommodate the city’s rapidly growing student population, but it attracted students from the county as well. The Old Greenwood High School is a complex of three brick buildings – the main building, the auditorium, and the gymnasium – each of which is in the Georgian Revival style and form a Palladian configuration. Each of the three buildings has a monumental portico supported by six Tuscan columns. Stone is used for water tables, columns, quoins, decorative panels, fascias, window sills, and keystones. The school was a collaborative effort between Greenwood architect James C. Hemphill, senior architect Charles Coker Wilson, and the prominent Columbia firm of Wilson, Berryman and Kennedy. The main building was opened on September 22, 1926, although the auditorium building was not finished, and the grounds were not ready. Formal dedication of the buildings took place in January 1927. The complex was completed with construction of the gymnasium building in 1929-30. Listed in the National Register October 10, 1985.
Greenwood County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterOldGreenwood