The Kinard House is significant as an excellent example of Folk Victorian residential architecture of the late nineteenth century which utilizes decorative detailing on a simple house form. It is also significant for its association with Henry Jefferson Kinard and his son Drayton Tucker Kinard II, prominent businessmen and public servants who represented Ninety Six and Greenwood County in the South Carolina House of Representatives in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. This house was built ca. 1885 for Henry Jefferson Kinard and was owned by his descendants until 1978. Kinard was an 1873 graduate of Wofford College and a farmer, merchant, and state legislator. He represented Abbeville County (Ninety Six was in Abbeville County until the creation of Greenwood County in 1897) in the South Carolina House of Representatives in 1892-93 and 1897-98 and represented Greenwood County in the House in 1901-02. Kinard was also one of the leading proponents for the creation of Greenwood County. The two-story gable-front-and-wing building has a five window bay façade with a central entry. A stone pier foundation supports the weatherboard-clad building. The original pressed metal shingle roof was replaced in 2003 with a sheet metal roof that simulates standing seam rolled roofing. The exterior detail includes sawn brackets at the frieze and soffits of the eaves and in the raking cornices of gables, boxed cornices with crown moldings and partial and fully-pedimented returns. All of the house's gables also feature a delicately-pierced sawn vergeboard. The house was extensively altered ca. 1920 with a remodeling of the front porch and the addition of an exterior chimney on the east end elevation of the house. Listed in the National Register March 7, 2007.
Greenwood County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterKinardHouse