Lander College Old Main Building
(Greenwood Hall; Laura Lander Hall; Willson Hall) The Old Main Building of Lander College is a large masonry building, composed of three distinct sections displaying an eclectic blending of elements of the Romanesque Revival and Georgian Revival styles. Two of the sections—Greenwood Hall and Laura Lander Hall—were built in 1903-04; Willson Hall was added in 1911. Old Main is significant as the earliest Lander College building and for its association with the educational theories proposed by the college’s founder and first president, Samuel Lander. Architecturally, Old Main possesses significance as an efficiently designed, early twentieth century college building and as an example of the designs of prominent Chattanooga, TN architect Reuben Harrison Hunt. The tower serves as a focal point for the building and defines its character as a school building. Thomas W. Cothran of Greenwood designed the 1911 addition. Methodist minister Samuel Lander founded Lander College in Williamston on 12 February 1872 as Williamston Female College. The South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, assumed control of the college in 1898. As the college prospered it became necessary for the physical plant to expand and the city of Greenwood offered land and financial incentives for the institution to relocate in 1903. Listed in the National Register August 3, 1984. It has since been essentially demolished.
Greenwood County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterLanderCollegeOldMainBuilding