C. Granville Wyche House
The C. Granville Wyche House, built in 1931, is primarily significant as an excellent example of depression-era Italian Renaissance architecture. It also has importance because of the distinguished legal career of its owner, C. Granville Wyche, who lived in the house from 1931 to 1988. Designed by Atlanta architect Silas D. Trowbridge, the ornate façade is Italian Renaissance with some Beaux Arts influences. As a “country estate” for a successful attorney with a large family, the Wyche house was one of the most expensive and elaborate residences constructed in Greenville during the 1930s. The symmetrical form, low-pitched tile roof, wide eaves with brackets, full-length, first floor windows and recessed door are all typical of the primary Italian Renaissance style. Beaux Arts influences may be seen in the massive portico, balustrades, grouped classical columns and pilasters, window crowns, and keystones. While the two Neo-Classical Revival styles were no longer fashionable in much of the country, they combined to create a high-style residence for a leading Greenville attorney. Plans for an elaborate formal garden, leading from the left wing, were originally drawn by the architect but were never carried out by the Wyches. A small grotto, original to the landscape design, with deep pool and edged by large boulders and cement mortar inscribed with the names of the Wyche children, is placed at the rear of the formal garden space, contributes to the property. An unpainted barn dating from the mid-1930s also contributes to the property. Listed in the National Register September 2, 1993.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic HomeSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterGranvilleWycheHome