Carolina Supply Company
The Carolina Supply Company Building is one of Greenville’s most important architectural and historical landmarks. The former textile supply structure is also significant for its integral role in the evolution of the textile industry in upstate South Carolina. The building is a four-story brick commercial structure constructed in 1914 in a utilitarian Renaissance Revival design with more simple architectural elements than many of the surrounding historic buildings. The restrained detailing is nonetheless distinctive and representative example of a commercial building dating from the early twentieth century. The four-story brick structure has a total of 20,000 square feet with four 4,000 square foot floors and a basement. The symmetrical design has three bays on the front façade with a flat roof. The building contains its original storefront with a prominent metal cornice on the first floor above the storefront. The Carolina Supply Company was incorporated in July 1899 as a textile and industrial supply company for the purpose of supplying mills with equipment and supplies. Carolina Supply’s association with the textile industry led to a natural business relationship with Joseph Emory Sirrine, the region’s leading mill architect and engineer residing in Greenville. Subsequently, J.E. Sirrine and Company was hired to design a new building for Carolina Supply Company in 1913. Listed in the National Register July 3, 1997.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterCarolinaSupplyCompany