The Cannon Building is locally significant as an intact example of late nineteenth century commercial architecture, for its association with the establishment, early growth and development of the town of Fountain Inn, and for its association with James Alvin Cannon (1853-1928), who played a central role in the establishment and development of Fountain Inn. The Cannon Building is one of the oldest extant structures in Fountain Inn. The exact date of construction is not known, although James A. Cannon most likely had the building constructed ca. 1880 to accommodate his thriving business operations and a new post office. The building has housed the Cannon Store, the Cannon Funeral Home, the Peoples Bank of Fountain Inn, the Fountain Inn Tribune, and the town post office. It is an architecturally distinctive building that reflects the prominence of its owner and tenants through its stately construction, classical ornamentation and prominent corner location. The two-story brick building contains 6000 square feet equally distributed on two levels. Like most commercial storefronts from the nineteenth century, the two-part storefront of the Cannon Building was altered to reflect modern trends in retail architecture. The alterations have been limited, however, and have not compromised the basic structural or architectural integrity of the building. Listed in the National Register September 28, 2005.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterCannonBuilding