Chamber of Commerce Building
The Chamber of Commerce Building was one of the first skyscrapers to be built in Greenville. The ten-story rectangular building was constructed in 1925. The building was constructed in a period when Greenville was enjoying a high level of prosperity. The Chamber of Commerce Building was part of the building wave that flourished in Greenville in the 1920s. Architecturally, the Chamber of Commerce Building is a fine example of skyscraper design of the early twentieth century. The building shows the influence of the Chicago School of skyscraper design and also of the Neo-Classical style. The composition, a tripartite design with base, shaft, and capital, is based on the classical column. The skyscraper has brick sheathing laid in Flemish bond and a first story with smooth ashlar stone quoins. The two-story base has classical detailing: stone sills and architraves, a stone door surround featuring two eagle motifs, and stone keystones over the first floor windows. The roof story features tall arched windows above a stone belt course. A brick and stone frieze with transoms and stone panels is below the broad cornice that terminates the building. The firm of Beacham and LeGrand designed the building; J.E. Sirrine and Company served as engineers. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982.
Greenville County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's UpstateSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic BuildingSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterChamberCommerce