Cowpens National Battlefield
During the American Revolution, the Battle of Cowpens, January 17, 1781, played an important part in the chain of events that led to the climax of the war at Yorktown. Cowpens was the second American victory in the Southern campaign of the Revolution during a 3-month period. Depressed by two years of defeat and persecution, these two victories within three months of each other served to strengthen the Patriots’ resolve. At the time of the Battle of Cowpens in January 1781, there were no settlers living in the vicinity. The name, Hannah’s Cowpens, referred to the use of the area as a holding place for cattle, but the nearest man-made structures were some two miles away from the battle area. The area where the battle was fought was an open, mature hardwood forest with red, post, and white oak predominating. There was little undergrowth and it was possible to see movement of men at a distance of 500 yards. Cattle browsed on the grasses that carpeted the forest floor. Two roads traversed the area. In addition to the battlefield, the historic core of the nominated site contains the Robert Scruggs House (a ca. 1828 log house), the Washington Light Infantry Monument (erected 1856), and the War Department Monument (erected 1932). Listed in the National Register October 15, 1966.
Cherokee County's Historic Register LandmarksSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic DistrictSouth Carolina National Historic RegisterCowpens