Pineville Historic District (PIneville Chapel)
The Pineville Historic District illustrates Pineville’s original role as a nineteenth century pineland village as well as its gradual transformation to agricultural land and to a year-round community in the late-nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Berkeley County’s wealthy planter class, wishing to avoid the fevers associated with their low lying plantations during the summer months, established inland settlements, particularly in areas wooded with pine trees, beginning in the late eighteenth century. The Pineville Historic District is composed of four principal buildings, three residential buildings and one Episcopal church, ranging in date from ca.1810 through 1925. In the mid to late nineteenth century, Pineville was a densely-settled village that included as many as one hundred buildings, including an academy, racetrack, library, churches, and residences. Much of the town was burned by Union troops at the close of the Civil War in April 1865. In the years following the war, much of the land that made up the village was converted for use as farmland. Since that time, Pineville has remained a small community of less than twenty structures surrounded by open farm and hunting lands. Listed in the National Register February 10, 1992.
Berkeley County's Historic Register LandmarksHistoric Landmarks of South Carolina's CoastSouth CarolinaSouth Carolina Historic DistrictPinevilleHistoricDistrict