St. James Episcopal Church, Santee
Landmark: St. James Episcopal Church, Santee
Location: Charleston County
St. James’ Church, erected in 1768, is an excellent example of the effort made in the last third of the 18th century to give South Carolina’s small Georgian brick crossroad churches, with typical rectangular plans, a more sophisticated exterior design. The building and its interiors, including a revised seating plan, appear to be original. The exterior includes architectural features not found in earlier brick country churches built on similar rectangular plans. The hipped-roof Georgian body of St. James’ is preceded, both front and rear, by classic pedimented porticoes, each three bays wide. The eight brick columns have molded bases and capitals, and the shafts, built up in perfect circles, display both diminution and entasis. The main entrance is located in the center of the long south elevation and there is a side door in the center of the west end. Originally there may have also been a center door in the long north side, at the point now occupied by the brick vestry room. The doors and windows are topped by fanlights and brick round arches, a Palladian window is situated in the center of the east end. Listed in the National Register April 15, 1970; Designated a National Historic Landmark April 15, 1970.
JamesSantee1001ssssz16801776Charleston CountyEpiscopalNational Register of Historic Landmarks