Landmark: Pacolet Mills
The Pacolet Mills Cloth Room and Warehouse, built ca. 1906-07, is significant for its early twentieth century textile mill architecture. The building, thought to have been designed by the prominent textile architectural and engineering firm Lockwood Greene, is one of the few intact resources still remaining from the early days of the Pacolet Manufacturing Company. The cloth room portion of the one-and-one-half-story building is constructed of brick laid in common bond, with the warehouse portion covered with weatherboard and metal. The building features a low-profiled roof and symmetrical design, as well as large rounded arch windows. The building served two functions: the front portion was used for inspecting cloth produced by the mills prior to shipping, and the rear portion was used as a warehouse. In the early twentieth century, the Cloth Room and Warehouse was part of a thriving textile community along the Pacolet River. By 1900, the Pacolet Manufacturing Company, which was organized in 1881, had developed three textile mills and a village. A flood in 1903 destroyed two of the mills and damaged the third, but the damaged mill was repaired and a new mill, company store, mill office building and the Pacolet Mills Cloth Room and Warehouse were also constructed in the first decade of the twentieth century. The textile mill buildings are no longer standing, and the Cloth Room and Warehouse is one of the few industrial buildings still remaining from the early days of the Pacolet Manufacturing Company. Listed in the National Register February 1, 2006.