Old Stone House, Fairfield County
Name: Old Stone House
Location: Fairfield County
South Carolina Archives and History: The Old Stone House is significant as a rare example of eighteenth-century stone construction. Samuel Gladney (ca. 1740-1800) received a royal land grant in 1768 on which he constructed the Old Stone House. A corner of the house bears the date 1784. The house passed through several owners before it was purchased in 1870 by the Lebanon Presbyterian Church for use as a parsonage. The house is a two-story, side-gable roofed, stone building, with a double-pile floor plan and end chimneys of stone. The front porch foundation and stone piers remain, although porch roof and supports have been removed. The façade has a central door with a massive stone lintel flanked by single four-over-four windows with stone lintels. The second story has three four-over-four, shuttered windows. The rear elevation has an off-center entrance flanked by two single windows. The second story has two four-over-four windows and a third that has been filled with stone. The roof is covered with metal. December 6, 1984.
bill fitzpatrick writer and photographer