Landmark: Williams House
Location: Allendale County
South Carolina Archives and History: (Williams Home Place) The Williams House consists today of a residence built ca. 1800, with an addition built ca. 1906. It is a one and one-half story, three-bay, lateral gable-roofed, log and clapboard hall and parlor farmhouse. The house’s exterior walls are of log construction covered with clapboards. There is no evidence of chinking. The floor joists consist of undressed logs resting on heavy hand-hewn plates and sills atop brick piers. The main body of the house consists of two rooms measuring approximately 30 feet by 16 feet. The larger of the two rooms on the first floor had a Federal-style mantle with gouge work in the form of scallops and stars on the piers and semicircles on the center panel. It is now in the owners’ possession in Georgia. A porch stretches along the entire length of the front façade. Although its physical condition is currently less than perfect having lost one chimney stack and some of its exterior weatherboard siding, the house’s overall integrity of design, materials, workmanship, feeling and association have not changed significantly throughout the building’s history. The Williams Home Place has been named a National Bicentennial Farm, as the property has remained continually in the same family for more than 200 years. Listed in the National Register February 17, 1999.